The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, October 02, 2006

moment

Witnessed a sweet street vignette in Dublin as darkness fell.
An Italian chap and his girl came wandering along out of the shadows.
Shabbily dressed but a good looking couple imbued with all the glamour, gallantry and romanticism of their country.
Not much lower than the angels, I thought when I saw them.
She stopped at a shop window and gave a little exclamation of delight: "Look, look."
It was a shoe shop.
The man stood there wringing his hands in a kind of mock theatrical display of frustration.
"We have not enough money to eat," he cried. "And you are thinking about those... things."
I saw her face as she turned towards him. It was shining with adoration.
I left them there on Henry Street to fulfill their own legend.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll have to write that scene into a movie someday. :)

5:36 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Gen, for God's sake don't encourage me!
James

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home