The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

apologia pro vignettes mea

At Rome airport a frightfully dapper English chap approached an Italian policeman.
The policeman was in the best tradition of Italian law forcement disguised as Foghorn Leghorn, approximating vaguely I mean, to a human sized Rhode Island Red chicken, all plumage and beak and coxcombe and eyes and machine guns.
The dapper chap enquired politely: "I'm sorry but do you speak English?"
The policeman drew himself up proudly.
"No," he crowed in English and with obvious relish. "I speak Italian."

1 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

I could tell a few dozen stories about trying to converse in Spanish, French, and German. But the one that came to mind when I read your vignette was the time I looked at a Bolivian comic book at a bus stop.

No, not a Foghorn comic. It was an anti-America comic book, and all the back-packing, camera-toting gringos in it talked Spanish exactly as I did -- badly. It was an eye-opener, for sure.

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home