The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Friday, October 12, 2007

sedition

Found a bit in the Bible that thrilled me.
It was Saint Paul having a row with a chap called Barnabas.
They fell out so badly that they had to part company.
An ordinary little account.
That's how it ends.
The friends part.
Now Saint Paul had experienced a humdinger of a miracle in his own conversion. Himself and Barnabas had risked their lives together on countless occasions. They'd witnessed wonders and even by the grace of God performed wonders.
Yet at this moment, they couldn't abide each other.
They had to go their separate ways.
The story is recorded in the supposedly 2000 year old writings, right there in the middle of the wonders.
I found this absolutely marvellous.
It touched me as surely as any miracle story.
One of my most persistent doubts about the truth of God has always been that we believers often seem so insufferable.
Tonight I was pleased beyond measure to read that Saint Paul and his pal Barnabas had encountered the exact same feeling 2000 years ago.
Yes, reading this was as good as reading about any miracle.
And the most seditious thing in the Christian religion, the most seditious thing particularly for those of us who have thought ourselves believers for many years, the most seditious thing remains...
It's all true.

3 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

St. Paul and I don't get along, just thought I'd mention that.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

I've heard it said that the disagreement just helped to spread the Gospel, since they went their separate ways.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schnee, I can forgive him lots for the letter to Philemon.
Gen, mysterious ways!
J

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home