The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

the heart of the matter

Coffee with my cousin Frances at the old chateau.
"The Americans will never elect Barak Obama," sez she conversationally. "They're much too racist to elect a black president."
I shook my head.
If you had been able to see us gentle travellers of the internet, you might have noticed something cautious in my demeanour.
I was being cautious because Frances spends her days staring down joyriders and street thugs as a teacher at one of Dublin's toughest schools.
I don't know what effect she has on the joyriders and street thugs but she sure scares the hell out of me.
"Er no," sez I choosing my words carefully. "The Americans are not racist. They've made a more serious attempt to bring the different races together than anyone else. They'd elect a black president in the morning if it was Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell or Ralph Keyes. But they'll never elect a black Neville Chamberlain."
Frances favoured me with a keen stare.
"You really think that's the issue?" wondereth she.
"I do," sez I. "Barak should stand for election in some other country. Some country his wife isn't ashamed of."

1 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Oooh...interesting...

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home