The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, August 09, 2008

day among days

Spent the morning working on adjustments to my Dracula play. Came up with a rather nifty new scene which I think will change the history of dramatic theatre.
Have a look.
My morning's work highlighted in red.
It is a source of some chagrin to my poor spirit, that the Leinster Lootheramawn used to pay me to write such nonsense. I mean they used to pay me while I was writing it.
Anyhoo.

(Scene: Castle D. Evening. Dracula is about to fang a nubile young lady.)

Dracula: "Now my darling..."

(The window bursts open. The Hero Type lands in a shower of glass on the floor.)

The Hero Type: Stop you foul fiend of hell.

(Dracula looks up, startled. There is an uncomfortable pause.)

Dracula: Line.

Prompter: (from off stage) Oh f--k.

Dracula: Oh f--k.

Prompter: (Enters. She is pretty in a Diane Keaton/Sonia Gomez sort of way.) No. Sorry. That was me. I've lost the page. I don't know where we are.

Dracula: No. Sorry. That was me. I've lost the page. I don't know where we are.

Prompter: No I mean...

(Dracula fangs her.)

The Hero Type: You evil bast--d. You've killed the prompter.

See what I mean folks?
A new age dawning in theatre surely.
Remember you were in on it at the beginning.

In the afternoon I drove to the city to meet Luisa.
A two car pile up at Kilmainham became a three car pile up when one of the afflicted vehicles ploughed into Esmerelda.
Esmerelda is the name of my car.
She received a medium dent on her rear bumper.
I got a good shaking.
Exited the car for a brief chat with the occupants of the other vehicles.
Thankfully they weren't really hurt.
More shaken than anything else and obviously a little excited to be meeting Ireland's greatest living poet.
Presently we were joined at the side of the road by members of Dublin Fire Brigade, the ambulance service, and the police force.
After an hour I broke up the party and drove on into town.

Coffee with Luisa and her friends Giovanna and Daniele.
It was a very Italian gathering.
They talked animatedly for two hours about food.
I listened.

Back home to see highlights of the Olympics opening ceremony.
It was good.
Probably the most visually astonishing opening ceremony ever.
I thought the guy rising up and appearing to run on air was the best bit.

How many people will be watching it from Tibet?
Hey China!
Yeah you.
I'm talking to you.
Don't make me come over there.
Allow the Tibetan people their freedom.
You know it's time.
Repudiate your fifty year act of international piracy.
Thanks.

I was moderately appalled to hear that a week ago the International Olympic Committee had banned Iraq from taking part in the games. Clearly this was a decision taken for anti American reasons.
The International Olympic Committee pretended to have been offended that the democratically elected Iraqi government had removed a few Saddam era appointees from their own Iraqi Olympic Council.
Ah yes.
The IOC going in to bat for Saddam's henchmen.
A thorough going Olympic disgrace.
Now I hear Iraq is being allowed to compete afterall but most of the athletes will be too late to enter for their events.
What a lousy thing to do to them.
It would have been fun if the Olympics were being held in a free country. You would have heard some cheer when the Iraqis walked into the stadium, I tell you.
And no backroom backstabbing backwoods quisling marxian IOC bureaucrat would have dared to try and keep them away.

Flicking from the Olympics, I came across a news report on the Beeb.
My jaw dropped.
Barely 24 hours after my stirring I-love-Russia speech and just a week after my unconscionably magnificent literary tour de force Tribute To Mother Russia on this blog...
The Russians have invaded the Republic of Georgia, a small country on their southern borders.
Bloody hell.
I have a talent.

Salad with the Mam and Dad.
Fed MC Hamster. (My salad.)
Paddy Pup brought me for a walk.

Bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home