The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, July 12, 2010

then longen folk to go on pilgriage

"I'm thinking of going on a pilgrimage to Spain," quoth me.
"Really?" wondereth the Mammy.
"Um yeah," sez me. "There's a thing known as the Camino where people walk all the way to a town called Sant Iago De Campostela. It's rumoured one of the apostles is buried there. Some people walk hundreds of miles from their home towns. The pilgrimage has been going on since the middle ages."
"Well you're middle aged so I suppose that bit makes sense," grinned the Mammy.
"That's not funny Plisskan," I told her.
"You're not that fond of walking at the best of times," she reminded me pleasantly. "And now you think you're going to walk a couple of hundred miles in one go?"
"The whole thing is more a spiritual journey than anything else," quoth me with elan.
"I don't see you doing it spiritually or for real," pronounced the Mammy judgementally.
"You might be surprised," sez me.
"Why don't you just do one in Dublin?" suggesteth she.
"In Dublin?" expostulateth me.
"I read in the paper they're holding some sort of pilgrimage walk in Dublin," sez she. "I think it's in celebration of Ireland's links to that Spanish one you're talking about."
A wave of nausea swept over the Mighty Heelers.
"I can just imagine what the Irish pilgrimage will be like," exclaimed me coldly. "Stop offs at each Condom Emporium, spiritual breaks at the Drugs Shops, a mystical highpoint at the Irish Times HQ where there'll be a reading from the gospel according to Karl Marx, all finishing up at Independent Newspapers House for mass abortions and ritual burning of an effigy of the Pope. I think I'll pass on the Dublin Four version of the Camino thank you very much."
"Son you gotta let go of your anger," sez the Mammy.
"I know," sez me agreeably.

1 Comments:

Anonymous MissJean said...

James, I'm going to Spain next summer (not for the full pilgrimage) and I'm already in training for it. When are you thinking about going?

Also, do the Dublin pilgrimage! We must be charitable in our thinking, not just kneejerk react to our views of ungodly Samaritans. It doesn't matter if not everyone involved is doing it for the best reasons. You might might remember a Fellow telling us that wherever two or three are gathered in His name, there He is in our midst? Well, if there's only you and one other person praying for Our Lord to touch Ireland and heal her self-inflicted spiritual wounds, then that's pilgrimage enough!

And if you still can't bring yourself to do that, I've been told that there's a pilgrimage to a mountain there in Ireland where the Blessed Mother appeared. If so, avail yourself of it!

I admit that I wish I could have a pilgrimage site so near at hand. If I were in Ireland, I would strap on my leg brace and force you to go with me.

Yours in sisterly affection (meaning, ready to beat the tar out of you, but for your own good),

MissJean

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home