The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Cleaning Up

Dropped into the cleaners in Newbridge this afternoon to collect some laundry.
The lady known as Lil (aka the Mammy) accompanied me.
She waited in the car while I went for the clothes.
In the cleaners the manageress looked a tad guilty as I entered.
"The colours ran on your mother's cardigan," she explained briskly. "You'll have to contact the manufacturer."
I told her to wait a minute and went back outside to consult the boss.
Boss Lil told me not to bother arguing and just take the clothes.
I went back in.
I didn't bother arguing but I did stand on my dignity a bit.
"Are you going to charge for that?" I asked the woman.
She told me there would be a charge as the cleaners had obeyed the instructions on the cardigan and it wasn't their fault the colours ran.
I said: "Are you sure you want to charge me?"
The manageress looked momentarily distrait but steeled herself and resolutely affirmed her intention to charge.
I fixed her with my famous Paddington Bear stare.
When I looked into her eyes I saw that she was not a bad person.
I nodded, paid for the clothes and left.
Later the same night the Mammy let slip that the cardigan had been damaged BEFORE she sent it to the cleaners.
I asked her why she hadn't told me earlier.
"Ah," sez she, "I didn't want to complicate things."

4 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

I enjoyed that laugh. :D Very pleasant to laugh after a day of trying to fill out job applications. Blechhh.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Ah the Mammy's a handfull for sure ;)

6:35 AM  
Blogger Schneewittchen said...

or even a handful .... oops!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Chamki said...

James,
I am ok. I was home. Will write about it when calm

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home