The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

ah i mean argh

Ah the passing of time.
Five years ago the most popular characters in my published writings were Uncle Scutch, Aunty Mary's hens, my gambling cousin Vinnie, Calamity Annie Hoddlebun and the Mammy.
Only Hodders and the Mammy have held their positions in my writings.
Where are the others now?
Show business is tough.
In fact out of those formerly top special guest stars in the legendary And While I'm At It humour column, only the Mammy and Hodders are still making regular appearances in my present day creative outpourings.
It is sobering the way these things work out.
And hark even as I type these words for a whole new audience of millions on the internet, it seems as though Aunty Mary's hens Hannah, Harriet and Ethelfrieda, have returned and are perched upon my shoulders, their plumage glowing faintly with ethereal silver light.
"Heelers, Mighty Heelers," they murmur. "All glory is fleeting."

5 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

Wasn't Medbh around in those days to co-produce cartoons (that was a hint btw in case I was a bit too subtle)and Paddy Pup?

3:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Medbh is absolutely ancient and has been around since the year dot

11:46 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Schnee, the first time Medbh collaborated with me was for the Dublin run of The Vampires in the dulcet Summer of 1996. At the time Paddy Pup was still a glint in George Cromthaigh's sheepdog's eye.
Not the year dot Anon. But 1996. The year from which all artistic calendars are now set.
J

3:39 PM  
Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

I have always known that Hoddlebuns (or whatever fond name you are giving her today) was a keeper. :)

10:16 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Well Gen, she is looked after by keepers.
J

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home