The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Thursday, August 28, 2008

meditations in green

Coffee with Doctor Barn in the Whitewater.
"Have you really got readers from Saudi Arabia visiting your website?" wonders the brother.
I quaff some coff.
"Yup," I tell him, "The Saudis are dropping in all the time. Also an occasional visit from my homies in Iran. And about once a month someone from Turkey. Oh and the same for Pakistan. It looks like I'm doing very well with that much sought after Jihadi demographic. Going to sell a lot of advertising on the strength of those readers."
The brother's eyes widened.
"What do they read?" he ventured.
I thought for a moment.
"The last bunch from Saudi Arabia spent a lot of time in the archives," I explained. "They went back to February 19th 2008 to read a cute little article I'd written about the secession of Kosovo from Serbia. The title was To The Devil A Daughter. I wrote something along the lines that Kosovo was Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski's eldest child. I asserted that Bill had bombed the Serbs out of Kosovo to distract attention from his Lewinski problem. I pointed out that it was the first new Muslim State in Europe in 500 years. I finished with the classic one liner: Thanks a bunch Bill."
"Why would someone in Saudi Arabia be reading that?" enquired the brother innocently.
I shrugged.
"Maybe they're just exploring their limits," I mused.
Doctor Barn swigged his beverage and changed tack.
"Is your website still getting visits from your former employers?" he asked, with the air of one not averse to rattling a tiger's cage.
My handsome preraphaelite features took on a look of noble suffering.
"Oh yeah," I murmured. "The great men of the Johnston Press are logging on every day, sometimes ten times a day. And I gotta tell you Barn, when it comes to a choice between the Johnston Press and the Jihadi's, personally I'd prefer the Jihadi's every time."



NB: James Healy was fired from the Johnston Press owned Leinster Leader newspaper three weeks before Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home