The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Sunday, August 10, 2008

out of the mouths of babes

Dublin in the rain.
Coffee with Sarah Cho in the cafe above Easons bookshop on O'Connell Street.
"Do you get any Irish music in South Korea?" I ask her.
"Oh yes," she says eagerly.
"What Irish musicians do you like?" I wonder.
"We like Westlife," she replies.
My eyes widen.
"You really like Westlife?"
"Everyone in Korea likes Westlife, young people, old people, middle aged."
"No way."
"Way."
"And what do you think of U2?"
"Never heard of them."
I'm telling you gentle travellers of the internet, this remark quite made my day.
There's hope for humanity yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home