The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Thursday, March 26, 2009

summoned by bells

I woke.
In the darkness a summons.
As of bells.
I hear it sometimes.
It can mean a few things.
Poems I have not written calling me to write them.
Regrets singing to me.
The guardian angel telling me to get up and look at the dawn.
Maybe it was that.
I knew I was being summoned to the window.
I did not know what I would find.
I glanced at the clock.
It was 6am.
I opened the curtains.
I looked.
Firstlings of a grey dawn creeping through the garden of my father.
I scanned the garden.
Ordinary enough.
This wasn't what I was called to see.
I looked upwards.
On the telephone line opposite my window sat two turtle doves.
One dove edged along the wire until both were together.
They touched heads for all the world as though they were kissing.
Then they rested their heads on each others shoulders.
They made slight motions, swaying, caressing.
Up high on the telephone wire.
It was so gentle the way they did it.
They stayed for long moments.
I watched.
They were like two teenagers cuddling.
Sweetest thing I ever saw.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home