The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Sunday, May 03, 2009

sergeant heelers lonely hearts club english lessons

Cafe Aroma on Abbey Street.
"Why do the Irish hate the Japanese?" enquires Miss South Korea poignantly.
I eye her.
"What's happened?" I counter.
Her eyes are shining with what could be tears.
"People on the bus keep glaring at me and telling me to go back to Japan," she answers, still heavy on the poignancy.
She is very beautiful when she's poignant.
I sigh.
"I think you get people like that everywhere," I explain cautiously. "Sometimes it might be racism. Sometimes it might be ignorance. Always it's a sort of dissatisfaction with themselves. Unhappy people sometimes spend their time looking for ways to spread unhappiness. I hope it's not really racism but it's still very unpleasant for whoever is on the receiving end. Anyone who glares at another person, and makes a remark like that, is doing so because of a deep seated unhappiness, a profound insecurity, with who they themselves are. You may be sure when you get off the bus they immediately start glaring at someone else. They've nothing better to do with themselves. It's never really about you."
Miss Korea looked at me reproachfully but said nothing.
"Anyway," I said brightening. "You don't mean to tell me that if I walked down Main Street South Korea, there wouldn't be tough young South Korean men jeering: Hey Whitey, go back to Caucasia you starey blue eyed pale faced b-st-rd."
Miss Korea grinned.
"There wouldn't," she said. "Everyone in Korea is nice."

2 Comments:

Anonymous ME said...

Sad. I've heard so many similar stories nowadays, although (fortunately) personally I have not experienced this type of "hospitality" here yet... To be frank, this is why I LOVE my nation. We are soooooo straightforward... We do not ever bother about pretending to be nice and friendly and consequently we do not let anybody down... :)

8:41 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Any Hungarians I met were lovely.
J

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home