The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, June 13, 2009

a rooskie in dublin


MILK & SUGAR!
by Irina Kuksova
*************
Being a diligent student of the English language, I've been trying to come up with a phrase which would contain the newly discovered word 'ubiquitous.' It's not one of those easy everyday bits of vocabulary that just stick in your mind. I needed a proper context that would scream the word's meaning. Sure enough there it was right before my eyes - 'ubiquitous cups of tea with milk and sugar.' How very true for Ireland - they are everywhere.
That's not to say that one can't get a proper cuppa in Moscow. Of course one can. Yet instead of being simply asked "How many sugars?" in Russia you are likely to have to go through a tough process of decision making. These are some of the questions to ponder:
- Black/greet/white/red/ tea or an herbal infusion?
-Mint/melissa/dry berries/whatnot from a grannies garden in your teapot?
-Some jasmine/roasted sesame seeds/wild rice tea mix in it too?
Although it sounds like something a server in a fashionable tea house would ask, it's just typical of what Russian hosts, obviously taking pride in their hospitality, would offer. Not surprisingly, rarely would milk be mentioned. That's because as far as we're concerned, milk in tea is mostly for kids.
Russian children enjoy watching the milky clouds in their cups. Too boring a show for adults who are used to 10 million dollar special effects in cinemas.
Now I've made up my mind to bring the traditions of my first home (the Russian one) to my second home (the Irish one). I've decided to be a bit more choosy even if the choices are limited. 'Lots of milk and no sugar,' is just too abrupt. Now everybody has to wonder whether I want sugar this time or not, milk or no milk, tea bag in or tea bag out. I change my mind all the time, keeping my friends on their toes. It drives them mad but the freedom of choice always comes at a price, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home