The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

transition

by ANISSA LADJEMI
********************

Not happy in my own skin
From innocent child to wayward teen
I stand in the mirror not liking what I see
How I long to rid myself of insecurity
Somebody help me please?
I remove my clothes they drop to the floor
As the artist begins to draw
The arch of my back
The curve of my breast
I am shaking from nerves
Soon I start to relax
Sacrificing myself in the name of art

As time goes on I start thinking differently
Growing in spirit and mind
I ask myself this how can you love another
when you don't love yourself?
I used to be nervous of my body
The scars on my legs
A map of my past
Now when I see my reflection
I smile instead
A sign of inner strength
A wise man once said

What have I learnt on my journey of self discovery?
The difficulties life has thrown at me?
Not to worry it's wasteful and useless in times like these
Don't live in fear of the unknown
Know your worth there lies the key
And failure comes to us all
But we can rise from the ashes once more
To be reborn and see ourselves in a different light
I no longer care what others think
Ladies and gentlemen my transition is complete

2 Comments:

Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

My daughter and I were talking on Sunday.

She said that the people at work look at her strangely sometimes. She can tell they think she's weird.

Don't worry, I told her. By the time you're my age, that won't bother you at all anymore.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Genevieve.
Tell your daughter that people are always looking at me weird too. That's why I wrote the poem. To stop me worrying so much about others' opinions.
Anissa x

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home