The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Thursday, November 26, 2009

a new candidate for the best day of my life

1. Woke at 8.45am with the Mammy shouting up the stairs: "Get up. I need a lift to cards."
2. Drove the Mammy to her Bridge club in Newbridge.
3. Collected social welfare money from Kilcullen Post Office. Ah. It's grim up t'east.
4. Drove to Naas in search of diary I lost there yesterday.
5. Coffee at Costa Cafe. No diary.
6. Coffee at Alice's Restaurant. You can get anything you want there. Except a diary.
7. Brief ramble around Superquinn supermarket. No diary.
8. Home. Found diary on my desk.
9. Phone call from Nora O'Hanlon at the Kildare Vocational Education Committee. She asked me would I give a talk in December to the adult students about poetry. I asked her what sort of students. She said they were a mix, some senior citizens, some nurses. I said I'd give the talk. I do like nurses.
10. Email from Patrizzers in Rome.
11. Email from Eva Boudard in France.
12. Email from Jenny Young who is an agri journalist and also runs an environmentally friendly farm and shopping outlet called Castlefarm. Her email was advertising the farm's latest promotion. I wrote back with a Diana Ross theme thusly:
"Youngers.
Set me free why don't you babe.
Get out of my life why don't you babe.
Because you don't really love me.
You just keep sending me spam advertising your website.
And you never visit mine.
You're worse than Councillor Richard Daly.
For God's sake have mercy."
13. Found an old copy of one of my unpublished poems. A thing called The Newsbringer. I had never been happy with it. The version I found seemed as near to okay as it ever got. So I decided to run with it on the blog.
14. Email from Maira Preata about possible publishers for Italian versions of various works of mine. Can't help wondering what the Italians are going to make of my comic stylings about the Johnston Press. Time will tell.
15. Phone call from Luisella in Italy about April trip to see the Turin Shroud.
16. Collected the Mammy from cards and went for dinner at the Cafe Des Beaux Parvenus in Newbridge Silverware. Rather appealing Russian waitresses plus that cracking Natalie Collins bird, the proprietor. The food was okay too. Had a browse through the Newbridge Silverware comments book. Someone from Cork had written: "Crap." The manager of Newbridge Silverware William Doyle had annotated the comment with: "I wouldn't expect anything better from Cork." I found this highly amusing. I thought he only annotated my comments.
17. Home again. Visit from my five year old nephew Tom. He asked me to show him the hamster. Magic moments.
18. Back to Naas for another sojourn at the Costa. Hungarian waitress very friendly indeed.
19. Petrol in car.
20. Lodged cash to credit card. I'm still flying financially. Just about. On a wing and a prayer.
21. Everybody Loves Raymond on the box.
22. Chat with Edward, husband of my Yogic sister Marie. I offered him some of the Korean tea which Jin Woo gave me. He was not interested. Korean tea has not been a big success in my family. Which is a good thing. It means there's more for me.
23. Back to Newbridge for time with the creator of the universe in the eucharist. Felt he was asking me what I wanted. I said: "I won't change the prayer. Just for fun. The impossible one."
24. Texts from the impossible Countessa. Two hours of them. You could have knocked me over with a feather. It felt like I was sitting in the middle of a miracle.
25. Checked blog ratings. Up again. The usual Jihadis, some spies from the national newspapers, plus a nice smattering of international ones from America, Britain, New Zealand and Australia.
26. The rosary. Fourth mystery of light. The transfiguration on Mount Tabor. Jesus goes up the mountain with Peter, James and John. While there his clothes become white. Whiter than any earthly bleacher could make them. The old testament prophets Moses and Elijah appear and talk to Jesus. For once I didn't ask for anything. Just said thanks.
27. Night walk for Paddy Pup.
28. Fed budgies.
29. Bed at 1.45am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home