The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, February 03, 2020

on the nature of truth

A cafe amidst the hubbub of the world.
"There are no absolute truths," said Rowena.
"Is what you've just said an absolute truth?" I replied.
"Maybe we mean different things by truth," she mused.
"There are two sausages on my plate, no more, and no less," I said.
"I might argue that the white pudding is a type of sausage or I could call your egg a sausage," she said.
"Every proposition may be disputed but it is a rational dysfunction to say that no proposition is true," I averred.
"How do you know?" quoth she.
"When you say there's no truth, you don't believe it yourself, it's not how you live your life," I said.
"Oh I don't know," she said.
I pondered.
"Okay," I said. "remember that communist guy Ron Baines from Athy. He deals in antiques. He showed me the shed out his back where he artificially ages items to make them appear a hundred years old. Now the fact that there are fake antiques, which is a true fact, does not alter the truth of the fact that there are genuine antiques. The existence of fake antiques clearly does not mean there are no genuine antiques. The fact that there are lies does not alter the fact that there is truth."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home