The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Wednesday, July 01, 2020

cockroaches

Strolling in the town of Newbridge a few years ago.
A character called Andrew Roche approaches.
"James, I hear you've been having trouble from some lads."
"Where would you hear a thing like that, Andrew?"
"My mother told me."
"Did she indeed."
"Look James. I'm not in the IRA, right? I'm not in the IRA. But I used to be in it. And I know some lads who could call around in balaclavas to the lads who are bothering you. I don't think you'd have any more trouble."
A balaclava is a knitted mask that covers the face but leaves the eyes exposed.
Members of clan gangs sometimes wear them to make themselves feel tough when trying to intimidate people.
"My problem Andrew," I said gently, "is that I don't know if it's the IRA that's annoyed with me."
And the little piece of crap couldn't look me in the eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home