The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, February 26, 2007

bockalurums

Lunch with Doctor Barn and his baby daughter Erin.
We are in Puccinos, one of the friendlier cafes in the Whitewater Centre.
"Can I borrow your mobile," says Doctor Barn.
I indicate with Franciscan beneficence that he may.
He reaches across the table, takes my new Nokia 9000 Zorgotronix mobile phone, and hands it to Erin.
Erin bocks it merrily off the table.
Bock, bock, bock.
I stare.
Doctor Barn's own mobile phone sits comfortably, peacefully and undamagedly beside his coffee cup.
"I can't believe you did that," sez the noble Heelers when the power of speech returns.
My brother rushes to explain.
"Oh she's sick of the one I've got," quoth he. "She's only interested in yours because it's a little different. But don't worry she won't do any damage."
Bock, bock, bock, all the while.
What you've just read bold travellers of the internet, is an example of the type of behaviour known to social scientists as Doctor Barnism.
In fact it's a text book example.
Although that doesn't make it any easier to live with.

6 Comments:

Blogger Schneewittchen said...

AAARGH!!!! I'm speechless!!! Fortunately the exclamation marks seem to be flowing freely.
Surely it's customary to reprimand one's child in such circumstances, not enable their inappropriate behaviour.

4:03 AM  
Blogger Genevieve Netz said...

You will have to train both father and child, I guess.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Sleepy said...

I would have been battered sideways for that sort of thing.

You have to ask the Doctor for me, as it has bothered me for some time.
Is it possible to get 'a cold in your Kidney's', piles from sitting on damp curbs or walls and will my 'lungs dry out' if I sit leaning against the radiator?

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was funny:)A small bit:)Such a little girl in control!

11:22 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Schnee, it's the opposite down our way!
Gen, I'm a poet not a miracle worker.
Sleepy, I could ask the doc those questions but he'd charge me.
K, your way of looking at this gives me a smile.
James

2:35 AM  
Blogger Sleepy said...

Get the phone bashing child to ask!

Then, buy her a disposable camera.

In my experience, it really pisses the parent off when they have to have the films developed.
Not that easy in a 'digital' age and the child will go on and on and on.....

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home