The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Sunday, February 22, 2009

overture

Faint fluting notes of birdsong carried on the firstlings of morning. The birds are preparing to sing the universe into being as they have done every morning since the dawn of time. Shadows unfurl in the garden of my father. Living light wanders where it will. The branches shiver in a gospel dance. Warm wind ruffles my hair. Paddy Pup rummages in the hedge.
The ghost of Charlie Darwin appears at my shoulder.
"The birds are singing to mark their territory," he grins.
"I think you're wrong," I tell him softly.

5 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Just wanted you to know that I've been here - just haven't commented. Too depressed by everything that is going on in the world...

I still love you (and worry about you, too!)

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of an old New Yorker cartoon that one of my teachers had on her desk (which means it probably was an OLD New Yorker cartoon). A bird is in the tree and a man on the ground below. Evidentally the bird is answering his question.

"No, I don't sing because I'm happy. I'm happy because I sing."

Have a good week, James.

10:20 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Adrienne! Love ya loads. Sometimes I've encountered an overwhelming feeling of defeat when I contemplate the news. The present economic situation requires discernment. The stuff in the world is a chance for us to deepen in faith. If we know the name of the Lord, we are rich beyond asking. I am rebuking my own fears and worries by contemplating the reality of Jesus.
Missj! So even the New Yorker has moments!
James

3:01 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

You're right, of course. Buuut - I have all of Lent to be pensive and morose. How wonderful! Damn, I feel better already ;-)

7:58 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

I felt better the moment I saw you were back.
J

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home