The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, December 14, 2009

animalia

Evening at the chateau.
MC Hamster sat up in the palm of my hand and stared at me intently.
I stared back.
"How much do you see little hamster?" I wondered. "I've read that hamsters can't see much at all. Yet you seem to be looking right at me."
Her expression remained calm.
I had a sudden overwhelming sense of the dignity of creatures.
"Why did God make you little hamster?" I continued. "What did he intend? What gifts did he give you? What senses did he give you? He gave dogs lots of senses. What did he give to hamsters?"
"He gave us good looks," replied Hammy smoothly.
At my feet Paddy Pup stirred in deep contentment.
He expressed no interest in the hamster.
If I didn't know him better, I'd say he'd given up all aspirations towards eating her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home