The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Sunday, February 26, 2012

sub terranean divine mercy conference blues

Ireland's greatest living poet ensconced among two thousand religious nutters at the Divine Mercy Conference in Dublin.
A protestant gentleman called David Pawson is holding forth on the platform.
He is a television evangelist of modest fame.
His intonation is novel.
He speaks with a marvellous cultured Brit accent.
But every now and then his voice becomes overwhelmed with emotion and goes like Minnie Mouse.
The effect is most surrealistic.
I am sitting there listening.
David Pawson is talking about forgiveness.
I become a bit uncomfortable.
He keeps talking about forgiveness.
Now I'm very uncomfortable.
It's all hitting a bit too close to the bone.
"Oh Lord no," I murmur.
David Pawson recalls meeting a woman in a wheelchair whose body was almost immobilised with arthritis.
He says he felt moved to ask her who it was she couldn't forgive and that she hissed at him in a voice dripping with venom that it was her brother.
He warns us that we shouldn't think arthritis is always caused by unforgiveness.
Then he insists that sometimes it is.
I groan.
I groan because I know.
At one stage when I was really furious with Arabs and Muslims, I woke unable to walk.
And the thought was clear in my mind that my immobility was caused by hate.
I ain't got no proof bold readers.
But there it is.
And as I'm listening to David Pawson, I'm still groaning because it feels like he's talking to me.
I've got more resentment, bitterness and unforgiveness than I know what to do with.
Now David Pawson is talking about a prayer gathering he held in England where he informed a group of English people that some of the leading Nazis had accepted Jesus after World War Two.
David Pawson had asserted to that group that even General Keitel number three in the Reich had sought forgiveness and had been given it.
And when he'd told the prayer meeting this, a woman had started to cry uncontrollably, finally exclaiming: "I am Keitel's daughter. I have been running away from my own name all my life."
And David Pawson is recounting this in Dublin.
Occasionally sounding like Minnie Mouse when he gets a bit emotional.
And I'm groaning the whole way through.
Because I know.
Everything he's saying about forgiveness.
Everything.
Is true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home