The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, October 05, 2019

doctor detroit

Steering the car through unrecognised realms.
I'm not totally at ease driving in America.
Also my knowledge of Detroit has been gleaned from a John Landis' louche but occasionally funny and ultimately terribly worthy film styled Kentucky Fried Movie.
To wit: A young American agent has been captured by the evil forces of Doctor Clown. He is dragged before the villain. He is unbowed. Doctor Clown says: "If the CIA thinks it can infiltrate the island of Doctor Clown it has another thing coming." The America agent snarls back: "You don't scare me you -------." He spits on Doctor Clown who wipes the spit off and says: "Take him to Detroit." Instantly the American agent cowers and begs for mercy.
That's Detroit to me.
Also the director Paul Verhoeven whom I've suggested is a satanist, didn't do the place any favours in Robocop.
Ah but I've arrived.
A leaf fringed street.
Sedate and serene by any standards.
No sign of Robocop or Doctor Clown.
I park at the address I've been given which is that of an old friend.
He too is a Doctor but has never evinced any intention to take over the world.
Doctor Sean Baines.
Soon we are quaffing coffees like old times.
He mentions a case to me.
"This one you'll love," he says. "An elderly woman patient. She thinks giant worms are coming out her ass every time she goes to the toilet. What do you make of that?"
"What do you make of it?"
"She's mad."
"Don't rush to judgement."
"Ha, ha, ha. Heelers even you can't pretend that woman is sane."
"The diagnosis of madness is often given for reasons of convenience. Sometimes we're just insufferable, not mad at all."
"Heelers you maniac."
"Before I called her mad. I'd look at some other possibilities. First. Could there be giant worms coming out her bum? Is there an aetiology you and I don't know about? I don't think so. I don't think my first point is a runner. But I'd always ask it. Never presume you know the person is lying or deranged. Always listen. Lies and derangement can come from an actuality. Listen. Weigh what you're hearing. Discern. Do not presume. Okay. Second. She is an elderly woman. Does she use drugs? A lot of her generation have damaged their neural processing capacities by drug use, either casual or ongoing. And even through prescription drug use, anti depressants or anti psychotics which you guys so gleefully put them on. You can ask her that. You can ask her does she use drugs, did she ever. You're her clinician. Care enough to ask. Don't insult. Just ask. Thirdly. There are people who get their jollies from slipping drugs to other people without their knowledge. Could somebody have disrupted her in that way? A carer? A false friend? Ask. Ask yourself before you call her mad. Fifthly. There are tubular formations which can occur in pooh that can look like worms. Could she merely have misperceived tublar poohs? Sixthly. There are thread worms that people can see in their poohs. Could she have simply exaggerated such a sight? I'd be asking all this before I wrote her off as mad."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home