The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, October 26, 2019

valorous idylls chapter 20

Strange Harmonies.

Morning light.
A new patient is in the bed across the room from me.
She calls a greeting.
She heard me during the night praying for a guy called Christopher and thought I was praying to Saint Christopher.
The travelling community hold Saint Christopher as their own.
She talks to me.
She says she is from a family whose members are involved in crime, and that she herself has been addicted to drugs and doesn't think she'll ever beat the addiction.
I say: "When I was coming off drugs, it was given me to understand that there are two types of pain. There's bad pain like when someone shoots you or stabs you and your body is saying: Uh oh, trouble here. And there's good pain. Like when you're coming off drugs. Every day I knew, that the pain of withdrawal was my body telling me: 'You're getting better." Every cell in my body was crying out. But I knew that was a good sign. This is the good kind of pain. Every pain you feel coming off drugs is saying: 'We're getting closer and closer to freedom.' 'We're winning this.' 'Everything is restoring, mind, body and spirit.' That pain is your very being saying: 'God made me to get better and I'm getting better.' This pain is your body giving you a thumbs up. It's a sign of ultimate triumph. The good kind of pain from drug withdrawal is telling you every step of the way: 'You did the right thing. You're getting better and better and better.'  That's what the good pain means. The good pain means you're healing. The good pain comes and you don't need to fear it. Jesus is perfect love and perfect love casts out fear. Know it. Drugs have no authority over you. You were made for victory."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home