The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, October 18, 2008

from our sports desk

In November of 2007 I was fired from the Leinster Leader newspaper where I had worked for ten years.
The Leinster Leader is owned by a British company called the Johnston Press.
When the Johnston Press fired me, the share price of their company on the London Stock Exchange was around the £3.70 mark.
Now, less than a year later, on Friday evening 17th October 2008, the share price of the Johnston Press is hovering at 29 pennies.

The geniuses who fired me have brought their company and all the newspapers it owns in Ireland and Britain, to the brink of...
To the brink of what?
To the brink of a share price of 29 pennies.

The great Hire-ums and Fire-ums have accomplished this without any help from me.
Up to the eve of my firing, the Leinster Leader had traded profitably for over a century.
You know I wouldnt bet on the Leinster Leader even still existing in a year's time.
And I've bet two grand on John McCain to be the next President of the United States.

At this stage we might reasonably conclude that the decision to fire me has probably not been the master stroke some of these high flying executive galoots thought it would be.

As I contemplate the amazing share price performance of the Johnston Press I wonder is it possible that in their treatment of me, these great men, so long accustomed to standing in judgement over others, have somehow offended the only judge who really counts.
God.
That would be a sad day for them.

Christians are never afraid of toe rags.
Whether the toe rags are incompetent bosses, mediocre middle management executives, psychotic policemen, corrupt politicians, morally debilitated bankers, fascist dictators, atheistic communists, half witted jihadi's, or just a bunch of free masons in hopeless servitude to something they call jahbulon.

I don't care what they are.
I don't fear any of them.
I can't help thinking of a one liner the Lord used in the Bible.
"Take a seat at my right hand until I have made your enemies your foot stool."
I could do with a nice new foot stool.

29 pennies.
Not far to go now.

Seriously though, they're doing a brilliant job.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heeler, you bet more on McCain than I did on Obama. I bet my father 5 bucks that Obama would win. I told him that if McCain were to win, I would happily hand over my money; if Obama, I would have money for the commiseration beers.

I hope whomever you bet will have some consolation for you if (Heaven forbid) the Chicago Weasel wins.

1:27 AM  
Blogger heelers said...

Missjean, I'm hoping whomsoever I bet actually goes on to win!
J

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayo down.
Elvis

3:43 PM  
Blogger heelers said...

Wayo downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home