The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Monday, October 28, 2019

valorous idylls chapter 21

Kabookie With Abeabuchie

They're getting ready to remove some sort of a drain device that has been siphoning off stuff from my arm.
It was inserted during the operation.
Part of the device extends a long way into my arm.
Part of it is external.
I am lying on my side.
A nurse whose name I don't know, stands in front of me to observe.
She has a lilting Donegal accent.
A nurse whose name I do know, styling herself Ruth Abeabuchie, goes behind me and begins trying to damage my arm under the guise of removing the drain from it.
The Donegal nurse frowns.
I keep my face impassive.
The Donegal nurse becomes increasingly upset.
Minutes tick by.
Not one word do I speak.
Finally the Donegal nurse can take no more and raps out in a firm voice: "Do you want me to do that Ruth?"
The question is designed not to alarm the patient, but it means that the observer nurse is instructing Ruth Abeabuchie to cease what she is doing.
Ruth Abeabuchie is startled.
She becomes flustered and tries to cover herself.
"Who fitted that?" she gasps, straightening up.
Suddenly she loses control of herself and strides around the bed.
"If I hurt you," she screams, "you have to tell me."
I keep my face impassive and say nothing.
A third nurse is summoned who removes the drain apparatus from my arm without further shenanigans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home