The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Sunday, July 05, 2020

equanimity

This happened last year.
The door of the cafe jingled.
Tony McNamee, a former Fine Gael candidate in the local elections, entered.
"Do you mind if I sit here?"
I indicated that I did not mind.
He sat down.
Without warning or preamble, he said: "Stephen Kinneavey nearly killed me. And I told your friend Nessa Dunlea about it and she wouldn't help me."
I held up a hand.
"I won't hear a word against her. I love her. But people in this town won't stand up to these guys. That's just the way it is."
"But she.."
"Ah come on Tony. She's Brendan O'Connell's sister. Kinneavey probably has a pension with O'Connell. What are you hoping for?"
He was silent.
Somewhat wryly I said: "Look on the bright side. It could be a lot worse. My cousin John Berney might have given him a job in the fucking pharmacy or my cousins Jamie and Thomas might be paying him as a courier to deliver their fucking saddles.."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home