The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Sunday, October 16, 2022

an indian doctor in an irish hospital

 

Someone had told me Sheila Fennessy was expected to live no more than a day or two.

So I was a bit surprised to see her getting out of a rather stylish new car on Kilcullen Main Street.

She looked  limber and enthusiastic.

I gaped a bit.

A woman of mature years, throughout her life she's had loads of operations for various condidtions including a hip problem that dates from a childhood injury.

Recently or so I was told, she'd lost the will to live after a bad fall undid whatever had been attempted in the latest operation.

On Main Street she explained to me her recovery.

"I was lying in bed in the hospital. An Indian doctor came to the bedside and told me that if I didn't eat I'd die. I told him that if I ate I'd simply vomit on him. He asked what I'd eat if I was at home. I said Granola. He said: 'If I get you some Granola will you eat it?' and I sort of groaned. About twenty minutes later my mobile phone rang. It was him. He was in the supermarket. He said there were three types of Granola to pick from and sent me pictures of them on the phone. I picked one. Then he came back to the hospital and fed me in bed. After that I just got better and better."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home