The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Friday, October 28, 2016

a working class hero is something to be

Driving through the County Kildare town of Newbridge.
Outside the girls secondary school I behold a picket line of teachers with placards announcing their strike action.
There are four teachers there.
Apparently the rest couldn't be bothered showing up for the strike, let alone work.
I pull over to them and wind down the window.
Heelers looks at picketers.
Picketers look at Heelers.
Then I say slowly and without rancour: "You should be ashamed of yourselves. You will break the country."
There is a pause.
I say again: "You should be ashamed of yourselves. You will break the country."
The striking teachers look into the middle distance.
I repeat my simple message a third time, slow and steady and still without rancour.
"You should be ashamed of yourselves. You will break the country."
I drive on.
As I drive away one of the teacher's finds her voice.
"Thanks for that," she calls.
Fifty yards up the street I come upon another picket line of striking teachers outside the Patrician school.
I pull up in the middle of the street.
This picket has a grand total of five teachers.
I wind down the window and allow a little time for eye contact each to each, them to me, the world to all of us.
Then with strange muted dignity I announce:
"You should be ashamed of yourselves... You are breaking the country..."
The teachers study their shoes.
I elaborate: "What you are doing is worse than what the banks did. You are breaking the country. You should be ashamed of yourselves."
Still no response.
I begin to drive away.
A teacher, a man this time, finds his courage.
"You obviously don't understand the issues," he shouts as I move off.
He's right about that anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home