The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Saturday, November 02, 2019

valorous idylls chapter 26

Return Of The Man With No Bobble Hat

It is time to go meet my public.
I will venture down Main Street.
I perambulate wobblily.
Grit your teeth.
You can walk.
Gotta get back in the saddle.
Or at least back in the saddlery, arf arf, Berneys Saddlery, to which I take a detour half way down the hill to buy a classic peaked cap from my cousin Jamie.
Helpful hint: If purchasing at the saddlery, always look for my cousin Thomas. He's the one who gives discounts. I found this out the hard way.
On we go.
Arriving at the bookshop resplendent in cap, I am somewhat nonplussed to be greeted by red faced staff whose mouths keep twitching.
What on earth is wrong with these people?
"It's okay," I tell them. "You can laugh."
There is a general outpouring.
The new cap notwithstanding, I am indeed something of a picture with the bright green plastic cane I found in a cupboard, an old scarf from the same cupboard, a coat thrown over my shoulders because I can't wear one properly at the moment, and Lefty The Arm held high like the creature from The Mummy.
"I wish I was tough," I declaim. "You know like the Pet Shop Boys. Then you wouldn't laugh at me. Nobody messes with the Pet Shop Boys. I'm going out to buy a bobble hat. Then you'll all respect me. Nobody messes with a man in a bobble hat. Men in bobble hats are tough. They have to be. Because they're wearing bobble hats."
Personally I find this spiel highly amusing.
The staff at the bookshop for their part begin to look at me with the firstlings of concern.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home