The Heelers Diaries

the fantasy world of ireland's greatest living poet

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kilcullen (Phone 087 7790766), County Kildare, Ireland

Sunday, October 13, 2019

valorous idylls chapter 7

Revenge Of The Nerds I Mean Nurses

Farmer Jones called in at 11 o'clock that night after cards.
He appraised the situation.
"You'll have to go to hospital," he pronounced bluntly.
My gentle preraphaelite features contorted into a mute appeal.
"I was thinking of waiting the night," pleaded I mutely. "You know things might look different in the morning."
"Your hand is turning blue."
"It's always blue."
"Let me ring my wife. She's a nurse."
Quick as a flash the farmer's wife arrived.
I tried to get her on my team.
"I think we'll let it rest and see how things are in the morning," I proposed.
"You're in shock James," she replied.
"I honestly don't think I am," I said.
"You're shaking like a leaf," quoth she.
"That's because you two left the front door open," said I.
Farmer Jones closed the front door.
"Now James," said his wife, "I'm going to take off your jumper."
"I don't think you are."
"I'm a nurse. We have ways of doing it. It won't hurt."
"It's not me getting hurt I'm worried about if you try to take off that jumper."
"I can do it."
"No you can't. See. The other arm is still working. I can fend you off till morning."
"Let me try."
"Couldn't we cut through the front of the jumper with a scissors and sort of slide the two halves away?"
She removed the jumper with a minimum of effort while I was half way through the last sentence.
There was a pause as the universe took a breath.
Farmer Jones' wife and Farmer Jones exchanged meaningful looks.
This was too much for me.
"What are you doing exchanging meaningful looks?" I cried. "I know what a meaningful look means as well as the next man. I watched Little House On The Prairie too you know."
The two conferred.
"He'll  have to go to hospital," said the farmer.
"There's a nurses strike," said his wife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home